Homicide Attorney in Olathe
Is Murder a Felony?
Murder is an off-grid person felony. Often off-grid felonies are very serious crimes, punishable by the death penalty or life imprisonment. Murder is intentional and premeditated killing of any person in the commission of kidnapping pursuant to a contract or agreement by an inmate or prisoner or while in the custody of an officer.
Murder Is Also Intentional and Premeditated Killing of the Victim of One of the Following Crimes in the Commission Of, or After, Such Crime:
- a law enforcement officer
- more than one person as a part of the same act
- a child under the age of 14 in the commission of kidnapping
- a sexual assault
What Is Murder in the First Degree?
First-degree Murder is an off-grid person felony.
Murder in the First Degree Is the Killing of a Human Being Committed:
- Intentionally and with premeditation; or
- In the commission of, attempt to commit, or flight from an inherently dangerous felony as defined in K.S.A. 21-3436 and amendments thereto.
What Is Murder in the Second Degree?
Second-degree Murder is a severity level 2, person felony.
Murder in the Second Degree Is the Killing of a Human Being Committed:
- Intentionally unintentionally but recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life.
What Is Voluntary Manslaughter?
Voluntary Manslaughter is a severity level 3, person felony.
Voluntary Manslaughter Is the Intentional Killing of a Human Being Committed:
- Upon a sudden quarrel or in the heat of passion; or
- upon an unreasonable but honest belief that circumstances existed that justified deadly force under K.S.A. 21-3211, 21-3212 or 21-3213 and amendments thereto.
What Is Involuntary Manslaughter?
Involuntary Manslaughter is a severity level 5, person felony.
Involuntary Manslaughter Is the Unintentional Killing of a Human Being Committed:
- Recklessly in the commission of, or attempt to commit, or flight from any felony, other than an inherently dangerous felony as defined in K.S.A. 21-3436 and amendments thereto, that is enacted for the protection of human life or safety or a misdemeanor that is enacted for the protection of human life or safety, including acts described in K.S.A. 8-1566 and subsection (a) of 8-1568, and amendments thereto but excluding the acts described in K.S.A. 8-1567 and amendments thereto;
- during the commission of a lawful act in an unlawful manner. Involuntary manslaughter is a severity level 5, person felony.
What Is Vehicular Homicide?
Vehicular Homicide is a class A person misdemeanor.
Vehicular Homicide Is:
- the unintentional killing of a human being committed by the operation of an automobile, airplane, motorboat or other motor vehicle in a manner which creates an unreasonable risk of injury to the person or property of another and which constitutes a material deviation from the standard of care which a reasonable person would observe under the same circumstances.
What Is Assisted Suicide?
Assisting Suicide is either a level 3 or level 9, person felony.
Assisting Suicide Is Knowingly by Force or Duress Causing Another Person to Commit or to Attempt to Commit Suicide; Or with the Intent and Purpose of Assisting Another Person to Commit or to Attempt to Commit Suicide, Knowingly Either:
- Providing the physical means by which another person commits or attempts to commit suicide; or
- participating in a physical act by which another person commits or attempts to commit suicide.
For your initial consultation, call our Olathe violent crime attorney at (913) 359-8996 or complete our online form.
Over 55 Years of Combined Legal Experience
Each Client Receives Personalized Strategy
Our Firm is Top-Rated & Award-Winning